* Macadamia integrifolia is a tree in the Proteaceae family, native to Queensland in Australia. Common names include macadamia nut, bauple nut, Queensland nut or nut oak.
* This species is a small tree; its leaves are simple with toothed margins and are 7 to 15 cm in length. The flowers are white or pinkish followed by woody, rounded fruits which are 2 to 3.5 cm in diameter.
* Seed - raw or cooked. Sweet and delicious, they can be added to cakes, biscuits, ice cream, etc. They can also be ground into a flour and then added to cereals to enrich their protein value. The shell is very hard, making it difficult to extract the seed. Edible oil is obtained from the seed.
* Plants grow best in rich moist soils and require copious summer watering in their early stages, though established plants are very drought resistant. Trees require a sheltered position and are easily damaged by strong winds. Plants can be grown in climates cooler than their native habitat, but they are not very hardy in Britain. They can survive slight frosts, however, and have succeeded outdoors in the Scilly Isles. Growth is optimal between temperatures of 20 - 25°c, ceasing when they fall below 10°c or rise above 30°c.
* Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a warm greenhouse. The dehusked seed germinates quickly at 25°c. The seed can also be sown in the spring in a warm greenhouse. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. If trying them outdoors, give the plants some protection from the cold for their first few winters. Cultivars may be grafted.
The trees will survive in hardiness zones 10 and 11.
Scarification: Soak in water, let stand in water for 24 hours.
Stratification: none required.
Germination: sow seed 3/4" deep, tamp the soil, mulch the seedbed.
Other: Seed needs warm temperatures after sowing to germinate (75 degrees F +).
Handpicked seeds ?
Organic Seeds ?
Pretreatment of sowing?
Scarification needed: Yes
Soak in water before sowing 12-24 h
Perennial plant : Yes
Resistant to cold and frost ?
Cold resistant: to −10 °C
Medicinal Plant: Yes
Many of our clients ask us how to know which plants are F (hybrid) or GMO and which are not.
You will recognize that they are always marked with an F1
or GMO icon
in the product description
Also all other information you can get if you check icons or under "Product Details"