- What information we collect
- The legal basis for processing we use in relation to processing your personal data
- How we use your personal information and how long we keep it for
- Who we share your information with and on what basis
- How you can control our use of your personal information
- Your rights
- Who to contact if you want more information
When we collect your personal information
We collect personal information about you as soon as you access our website Seeds Gallery using a smartphone or computer and also when you call our customer service team. The specific information we collect depends on whether you are a customer or a website visitor. If you buy a product from our website or catalogue, you become a customer of Seeds Gallery. The specific information we collect is detailed below in the what personal information we collect section of this document.
What personal information we collect on our website
The personal information we collect from you when you access our website comes in two parts: the information you give us when you complete our website forms, and the information we automatically gather from the device you use to access our website.
Information you give Seeds Gallery: this includes the following data items (although you can visit and use our website without giving us this information, if you do not place a transaction or an enquiry during your web visit to us):
- Your first name or initial, and surname
- Your email address
- Your telephone number
- Your postal address
- Payment details: if you order products from our website, your payment details will be processed by our payment processors PayPal. Seeds Gallery does not store any of your payment details; we are given a transaction ID by our payment processor.
Information from your device: when you access a website using a smartphone, TV (browser enabled), tablet, laptop or desktop computer, your device will exchange information with Seeds Gallery to maximize the speed of the site and provide the optimum navigation for your device. Without this information, Seeds Gallery cannot ensure the optimum browsing experience and ease-of-use when buying products. To do this, our website may acquire the following information:
- IP (Internet Protocol) address: your IP address indicates your location, unless you are using a VPN service
- Device: what type of device you are using (TV, smartphone, laptop, desktop)
- OS (Operation system): what operating system your device has (IOS, Android, Windows, Linux, MAC OS X)
- Browser & browser version: which web browser you are using (Internet Explorer/Edge, Opera, Chrome, Safari, Firefox)
- Domain: depending on your device and browser settings, we sometimes identify the web address of the domain you came from before landing on our website
- Clickstream data: this is a list of all the web pages that you visited, and the order you viewed them in, on each visit to Seeds Gallery. We also record how much time you spend on each web page, and record any actions you make on each page. We also record what items you place in the web shopping basket, even if you do not purchase them
What personal information we collect by post and by phone
Information you give Seeds Gallery: if you order via the catalogue order form or phone our call center we collect the following information about you;
- Your first name or initial, and surname
- Your email address, if you want to access the My Orders function to track your order online, we will need to store your email address as this is used as part of the sign-in process for this function
- Your telephone number
- Your postal address
- Payment details, if you order products from our website, your payment details will be processed by our payment processors PayPal, Seeds Gallery does not store any of your payment details, we are given a transaction ID by our payment processor
Preferences by catalogue and by phone: you can change how we stay in touch with you, and what we inform you about via the preferences section of our website (see above). If you do not want to do this, you can change your preferences on the order form in the catalogue or by email our customer service team.
Why we collect your personal information
There are two main purposes for gathering your personal information: for deliveries, and for transaction processing.
Transaction processing: when you purchase a product from our website or catalogue, you become a customer of Seeds Gallery, so we retain personal information on you whilst you remain an active customer of ours and also for a short time when you no longer order from us. When you make an enquiry about a product of ours, we also retain the personal information you give us in your enquiry for a limited period of time. Our Data Retention policy below explains how long we keep your personal information. In all cases for transaction processing, our legal basis for processing your personal data is contract.
Deliveries: We will need to print your name and address on delivery notes and dispatch labels, in order to deliver any goods you order from us. Please note that in order to resolve delivery queries once goods are on their way to you, that we may print your phone number on the dispatch label to aid the courier in the event of a query about your delivery. You may receive an email from our courier with updates on your delivery including information to enable you to track your order. Our couriers destroy any personal data provided by us once your goods have been delivered.
- Catalogues: we will provide our customers with at least one full range catalogue each year. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest
- Product offers: from time to time Seeds Gallery will send you discounted product offers via email or post. These offers are based on our knowledge of the products you have ordered or enquired about and your visits to our website, if you have visited it. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest
- Inserts: Seeds Gallery will sometimes include inserts from carefully selected and reputable organizations into your deliveries. Please note that at the time of writing, it is not possible to opt out of these inserts. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
- Newsletters: we will email customers and enquirers newsletters containing horticultural tips and growing/maintenance instructions for our products. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
- Competitions: Seeds Gallery sometimes offer competition entry via both email, the website and coupon. Competition entry is sometimes conditional on providing us with additional demographic information about you, which in turn allows us to further customize our communications and product offers to you. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
- Surveys: We occasionally survey portions of our customer and website visitor database to find out more about your experience using Seeds Gallery and to find out how we can improve our service delivery to you. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
- Site optimization: the device-level information we automatically gather about you allows us to optimize the speed and performance of the website for you. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest.
- Anonymous web analytics: Seeds Gallery aggregates and anonymizes all your activity on our website for traffic analysis, to help measure and improve the website performance. We also use this anonymized data to monitor the effectiveness of our advertising. Your personal data is anonymized in this process, so there is no requirement under GDPR for a legal basis for processing.
- Business Insight: your personal data and any order history goes into our business insight platform. We use this application to gain detailed insight into how to improve our product and service offering to you, and to also create statistical models to predict your likely purchasing intentions in the future. You can request that your data is removed from this business insight process by emailing Seeds Gallery. The legal basis for processing is legitimate interest, you can request that we remove your details from our business insight process.
How we protect and where we store your personal information
The personal information we collect about you is stored within our secure IT Data Centre. Your personal information is stored in databases which are encrypted at rest, providing the highest level of security. All personal information is moved to and from our website Seeds Gallery via an HTTPS connection, which means that the transfer of data is also encrypted. Access to your personal data held on databases managed by Seeds Gallery or its' authorized subcontractors, is granted only when there is a need to use the data, no permanent access exists.
Seeds Gallery is amending our IT policies to further protect your personal information by adopting 'Privacy by Design', an information management standard that seeks to anonymize personal data held in commercial databases to further protect that information. You can find out more about this anonymization process by following this link.
How long we keep your personal information
Seeds Gallery will only use your personal information for as long as you remain a customer, and for a short time after your last order. The maximum amount of time that Seeds Gallery will retain your personal information in a data archive is seven years, except in the event of a legal dispute. This seven-year limit is based on the legal requirement to maintain details of transactions as described in the Companies Act 2006. We have listed below how long we store your personal information for, which depends on your relationship with Seeds Gallery.
If you made a purchase from us: we will keep the information you gave us and details of what you bought for up to seven years from the date of the last transaction with us. After that time your personal data will be anonymized, but we will keep your purchase and marketing history.
If you enquired about a product, but did not make a purchase: we will keep the information we have on you as an enquirer for up to three years. After that time your personal data will be anonymized, but we will keep your enquiry and marketing history.
If you wrote to us: we will keep any correspondence with you for six years, although we do keep this information longer if your correspondence is a complaint.
Sharing your personal information with other organisations
Subcontractors: Seeds Gallery use carefully selected subcontractors to assist in the management and structure of business information for its' own marketing purposes. The information these subcontractors process includes the personal information we gather about you and your transaction and web history with us. By 'marketing' we mean the specific purposes outlined in the Marketing Activities section of this document.
GDPR allows data to be transferred outside the EEA in the absence of an adequacy decision by the Commission when "appropriate or suitable safeguards" are present (see Article 46). Data transfers to Epsilon affiliates based outside the EEA take place in accordance with Epsilon's Interaffiliate Data Processing and Transfer Agreement, which incorporates the Standard Contractual Clauses (aka "EU Model Clauses"). We believe that these measures satisfy the requirements in regards to "appropriate safeguards".
Requesting a copy of your personal information
You can contact Seeds Gallery using the information below, to request a copy of the personal information we hold on you. If you request this information, you will need to provide proof of your identity. We will return the information to you electronically in a text file. You are legally entitled to request this information under the General Data Protection Regulation, there is no charge for this service.
We will supply you the following information:
- Your contact details:which may include your email address, phone and mobile numbers, your previous address, your previous or second email address, your communications preferences and the date your contact details were last updated
- Your transaction history:if you have ordered from us, you will receive details of your order, including products purchased, date of purchase and the cost of the products
- Your marketing history:if we have marketed to you, we will send you details of the catalogues and emails we have sent you
- Email correspondence:we will search our email server to see if your email address is in any email message headers, if we find it, we will send you the email(s)
How to control your personal information on the Seeds Gallery website
If you do not want to receive communications from Seeds Gallery, you can change your preferences by emailing Seeds Gallery.
This privacy statement reflects the rights that you have under the General Data Protection Regulation, which specifically charges Seeds Gallery with providing you access to your personal information, and to ensure that your data is used appropriately & securely with specific reference to the rights of you, the data subject. Those rights regarding your personal data are as follows:
The right to access a copy of your personal information that we hold
The right to object to our processing of your personal data, if doing so causes you distress
The right to prevent Seeds Gallery processing your data for direct marketing purposes
The right to object to decisions being taken using automated means that includes your personal data
The right to have inaccurate personal data rectified, or destroyed
The right to have your data erased from our IT infrastructure
The right to data portability
The right to be informed about the collection and use of your data
Data Controller: under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), organizations that collect, process and store your personal information are defined as Data Controllers, which makes Seeds Gallery the Data Controller for your personal data collected from our website.
Data Subject: GDPR classifies individuals as data subjects. So you, the customer or enquirer of Seeds Gallery are a data subject under GDPR if you purchase or enquire about our products.
Data Processor: a data processor is an organization other than the data controller, who processes your personal data on behalf of the data controller. A good example of this is PayPal, who are one of the payment processing options for any products that you buy online. The data processors who handle your personal information gathered by our website have the same duty of care in handling your personal information.